5 Reasons Your Business Needs HTTPS
The rules have changed about what good website security means—starting with a new minimum requirement for all website pages to support encrypted connections or scare off visitors with “Not Secure” warnings. The good news is you’ll gain other valuable benefits by adhering to this new standard. First, let’s get on the same page by reviewing a few basics.
When your customers land on a web page that’s not protected by any type of SSL certificate they’ll see http:// at the beginning of the website address in the browser bar. Until recently, this was a perfectly acceptable way to transmit information over the Internet unless you required login credentials or collected sensitive information via a form. Times have changed.
HTTP has one glaring flaw—it’s not secure. Any information transmitted via an HTTP connection is vulnerable to being tampered with, misused or stolen. Your visitors deserve to know any data they share with you is safe from prying eyes.
Installing an SSL Certificate changes the browser bar address to https:// to clearly show visitors the connection is encrypted, meaning the server is authenticated and data is protected in transit. No wonder web browsers have made HTTPS the new standard for website security.
HTTPS Is Good for Your Bottom Line
Enabling encrypted connections to avoid “Not Secure” warnings is one great reason to protect your website with an SSL certificate. But, it’s not the only reason. Here are some other ways HTTPS brings value to your business.
- Speeds Up Performance—Being the slow kid on the block and the last one picked for dodgeball is a bummer. Being slow online could cost you everything. HTTP is being replaced by a newer faster version—HTTP/2. Encrypted connections are required to unlock the latest speed and security features.
- Increases Search Engine Traffic—Google includes SSL as a ranking factor. How’d you like to boost your search visibility up to 5%? Be found above the competition by encrypting every page of your website.
- Enables Mobile Options—Salesforce reports 71% of marketers believe mobile is core to their business. Mobile’s most popular features—geolocation, motion orientation, microphone, full screen and camera access—require HTTPS to be enabled by most browsers
- Protects Your Brand Reputation—A recent CA Security Council Report shows a mere 2% of customers would proceed past the “Not Secure” warnings. Show visitors your brand values their security by protecting your website with an SSL certificate.
- Delivers a Seamless Experience—Don’t let visitors engage with several pages on your site only to be get broadsided with a “Not Secure” warning on pages you haven’t protected. They’ll reward you for taking the extra steps to give them an end-to-end encrypted and secure experience.
Business Validation Matters, Too
HTTPS is no longer optional if you want to build relationships and a business online. The good news is it adds a lot of value to your business. Premium SSL certificate go beyond simply encrypting data, they authenticate, or validate, your identity too so visitors know it’s really you on the other end of their connection.
Every day that goes by without an SSL certificate is another day you’re losing potential customers and damaging your online reputation.
Contact us today, so we can help you find the perfect SSL certificate for your specific needs.